Staying just 30 minutes from downtown Béziers in the Languedoc Roussillon region (Occitanie), not far from Valras, don’t miss out on a visit to what is often nicknamed the French Seville for the importance of its Béziers bullring.
Located less than 25km from the city, the Béziers campsite lets you make the most of your vacation.
Cycling enthusiasts can also reach it by bike in 1h30 on the smaller roads!
Béziers is a city of nine locks, criss-crossed by the Canal du Midi, and boasts an incredible architectural heritage that’s a must-see if you’re sightseeing in the Hérault region. Around its sumptuous Gothic cathedral, whose silhouette marks the city from afar, the old town of Béziers was built on the banks of the Orb, sheltered behind high ramparts that you can visit during your stay.
Second only to Montpellier in the Hérault department, Béziers is renowned for its culture and férias, as well as its wines. Just a few minutes from the beaches of the Mediterranean, the city has preserved the soul of its neighborhoods and the beauty of its listed buildings: elegant 19th-century townhouses, medieval alleyways and the old bridge, and its late 19th-century arena, its Halles Baltardor the ancient remains of its Roman theater.
The nine locks at Fonseranes are unique and spectacular structures, and are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. They are the third most visited site in the Languedoc region , alongside the Pont du Gard and the medieval city of Carcassonne. To get to Béziers, you can choose Béziers airport. You can also visit the Palais des Congrès not far from Béziers town hall.
the sunny city
What to do in Béziers
- Visit the historic heart of the city: the cathedral, the bishops’ garden, the shopping streets, all within easy reach of your Béziers campsite.
- Climb to the top of the central bell tower of the Cathedral of Saint-Nazaire and Saint-Celse, and enjoy an incredible view of the city, the Orb and the Canal du Midi.
- Watch the boats pass through the nine locks at Fonseranes and stroll along the canal.
- Take a walk on the Plateau des Poètes: the city’s green lung, these 5 hectares of gardens inaugurated at the end of the 19th century link the municipal theater to the Béziers train station.
- Walk along the banks of the canal bridge, which allows ships to cross the Orb river just a few kilometers from your campsite near Béziers.
- Stroll through the flower market on the Allées Paul-Riquet, opposite the Théâtre Municipal (Fridays).
- Stroll through the old cemetery, Béziers’ “Père Lachaise”, with its exceptional mausoleums, quiet cypress-lined paths, mountain views and the statue of Notre-Dame-du-Moucadou.
- Take part in the Béziers féria in August, with its bodegas, casitas, equestrian village, shows, flamenco and Sevillanas. This feria is renowned throughout the Hérault department.
- Visit the bullring (every Wednesday morning in July and August) to discover its history and what goes on behind the scenes.
- Discover the city’s major sites by tourist train: from the historic center to the bullring, via the locks.